Archive for April, 2010

Miami Dolphins General Manager Jeff Ireland needs to resign or be fired. That’s it. He has disgraced himself and the Dolphin organization.

It has been reported by Yahoo! Sports that Ireland, during a pre-draft interview with Dallas Cowboys first round pick Dez Bryant, asked Bryant if his mother was a prostitute.

Bryant’s mom has served time for selling drugs. However, that does not open the door to ask if she is a prostitute. If Ireland had any concerns about Bryant’s character I’m sure he could have found out in other ways.

What does his mother’s past have to do with him being able to catch a football on Sunday? It seems to me that this was a cheap shot by Ireland. What possible significance could that question have?

Ireland tried to defend himself by releasing a statement where he said “My job is to find out as much information as possible about a player that I’m considering drafting. Sometimes that leads to asking in depth questions.”

I do not find that to be an in depth question as much as I find it to be an insulting one. Would he have asked a white player the same question?

For his part, Bryant is attempting to stay above the fray. “My mom is not a prostitute,” he told Yahoo! Sports. “I get a lot of questions like that: Does she still use drugs? I sat and answered all of them”

I think Mr. Ireland needs to start answering some questions. Starting with: “What the hell were you thinking?”

What’s Wrong Kobe?

Posted: April 27, 2010 in NBA

Yes, this is one of those “The Lakers are in deep trouble now” articles. It seems like we go through this every year. We get about two or three of them during the regular season and one after every playoff game, win or lose.

So is this time any different? Perhaps.

I can’t tell if Kobe Bryant is hurt worse than he is letting on or if he is getting old right in front of our eyes. I’m leaning towards the former. To be sure is game doesn’t look the same. Maybe it’s his finger or maybe it’s his knee, or a combination of both, that is affecting his play. Either way there is not much the Lakers can do. Sitting him during the playoffs is unthinkable.

So far Kobe is averaging 24 points per game in this series. That’s below his season average of 27; however he only had 12 points in Game 4 where he sat out most of the 3rd quarter and all of the 4th. So, he’s right there, scoring wise. What seems not to be there is his scoring in the clutch moments. This is a player who has been dubbed “The Best Closer in the Game” and it seems when his team really needs that scoring and leadership he has not been able to deliver.

What needs to happen is Kobe must get the ball to Pau and Andrew more often. And these two need to step up and deliver.

I have no doubt that Kobe’s desire to win and dominate is still there. The question is: Will his body be able to respond?

This is my open letter to the St. Louis Rams.

Please, I beg you; do not select Sam Bradford with the first pick in this year’s NFL Draft. Really. I’m serious. There have been too many teams that have been nearly destroyed because they picked a QB #1 overall (see Raiders, Oakland).  Don’t let this happen to you.

You can easily pick Ndamukong Suh and no one will think any less of you. And I think that’s a safe way to go. Suh is the safe bet. Picking a QB at #1 is like going all in with a J-7 off suit because you “feel it.”

Let me break it down for you. In the last 10 years (1999-2009) a QB has been drafted #1 overall eight times. The overall career trajectory of those eight men is not too comforting.

Let’s take a look:

2009 Matthew Stafford – Detroit Lions: Jury still out. Threw 13TD’s and 20 INT’s for an awful Detroit Lions team. Only played 10 games last season. Will give him a Neutral. For now.

2007 JaMarcus Russell – Oakland Raiders: Certified, Grade A Bust. Has a THREE YEAR record of 18TD’s 23 INT’s and a Passer rating of 65.2. Possible franchise killer.

2005 Alex Smith – SF 49’ers: Currently on a good 49’er team and had a decent 2009 season. However, career stats of 37 TD’s, 43 INT’s and a passer rating of 69.2  show he’s got a ways to go before we can say he’s a star.

2004 Eli Manning – San Diego Chargers: Traded to Giants after throwing a hissy fit. Super Bowl MVP but still not as good as brother, Peyton. Great QB.

2003 Carson Palmer – Cincinnati Bengals: Very good QB on a so so Bengals team. Career stats of 128 TD’s, 80 INT’s and a passer rating of 87.9. Could start on any NFL team.

2002 David Carr – Houston Texans: Currently holding clipboard for Alex Smith in San Fran. On his fourth team in last five years. The word “journeyman” comes to mind.

2001 Michael Vick – Atlanta Falcons: 3 time Pro Bowl selection, convicted felon. Currently vying for starting QB position in Philadelphia now that Donavan McNabb has been traded.

1999 Tim Couch – Cleveland Browns: Currently backup QB in green Bay. Career stats of 64 TD’s 67 INT’s and a passer rating of 75.1. How many of you knew he was still in the NFL?

37% chance of getting a Pro Bowl caliber quarterback. And that’s only if you throw in a dog fighting kingpin who went to prison for a year and you had to trade away. That leaves you with a 63% chance to seriously harm your team for years to come.

Would anyone ever take those odds on anything in real life? “Hey, buy this cool looking new car. There’s only a 60% chance that it will be nearly inoperable after a year. Sign right here!”

So I say to the St. Louis Rams, when you are all sitting around the table in you Draft Bunker each one of you should have a picture of JaMarcus Russell in front of you. Do you really want that for St. Louis?

So Big Ben is going to be suspended for six games this season. He might even be traded, if you can believe the rumors.

To be fair, Ben has not been convicted of anything. The Milledgeville (Ga.) district attorney has stated there is not enough evidence to pursue a criminal case against Roethlisberger. Ben is being suspended for being a jackass. And he should be suspended. There seems to be an epidemic of jackassery running through professional sports. From Roethlisberger to Tiger Woods to Gilbert Arenas, professional athletes are making the worst decisions imaginable.

Some say he is being made an example of because he is a star of the league.  It seems to me that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is sending a message to every player in the league; Get your act together because no one is untouchable.

This is not the first “problem” Roethlisberger has had.  First there was the motorcycle accident: not wearing a helmet even after he was told to, and the 2008 accusation of rape by a Lake Tahoe woman. This seems like a guy who wants to court danger. Bad decision after bad decision. What’s it going to take for all pro athletes to wise up?

Just remember, we live in a 24/7 news cycle. Every phone has a camera; TMZ is running wild so anything you do in public is probably going to be seen by someone. Stop acting like a jackass!!

So, not only is Roethlisberger getting suspended (without pay) but now there are rumors flying around that he may be traded. How do you go from being a two-time Super Bowl champion to being suspended and possibly traded? Answer: By being a jackass.

I know we’re coming up on the NFL Draft and hopefully the timing of this announcement will knock some sense into the new NFL rookie class. So to them I say: Don’t act like a jackass and you will have a long and happy career.

The folks over at the mighty TMZ are reporting the Shaq’s wife, Shaunie O’Neil, claims he ordered their son to deliver a death threat to Shaunie’s new man.  

Shaunie claims that Shaq “interrogated” their children to find out everything they knew about the boyfriend.

The major claim in Shaunie’s complaint is that Shaq ordered their 6-year-old son to tell her new man that Shaq is going to kill him. She also claims that Shaq yelled at the kid to “Say it now! My daddy is going to kill you!”

According to TMZ, Shaunie’s lawyers have sent a letter to Shaq’s people demanding that he stop “further inappropriate discussions” with the kids.

No announcement has come from Shaq of his attorneys. Shaq and the Cleveland Cavaliers are currently in the first round of the NBA Playoffs.

No telling how this will affect Shaq’s performance during this year’s playoffs. He is coming off an injury and hasn’t played since the end of February.

People need to learn the hard way that you don’t mess with Jigga’s brand!

Jay-Z is suing David Ortiz for $5 million over copyright infringement. It seems that Big Papi has opened a club in the Dominica Republic called “Forty Forty.” Now, everyone knows that Jay owns a chain of clubs called “40/40.”

“Forty Forty” vs. “40/40.” Get it? Jay’s claim is that people will think the club in the DR is somehow affiliated with his growing empire. And Jay aint having it!

Don’t know what Ortiz is thinking, naming it “Forty Forty.” Why not name it Big Papi’s? That’s some name recognition right there.

Stay tuned to see how this works out.